When you are fresh off the plane on your first travel adventure there is much you don’t know about the wider world.
But a lot you do know about the place where you just left.
This can be dangerous as it can lead you to commit many cultural faux pas. It may also mean that you travel with a mind that is not yet open to new experiences and ways of being.
To make your journey of discovery and growth easier, here is a list of
25 travel tips for first time travelers
1. Don’t expect things to be like they are at home.
2. Travel with your eyes wide open.
3. Be open to learn new things.
4. Don’t judge, instead say, “Isn’t that interesting? Tell me more.”
5. Learn the basics of the local language. Use them often. It is the best way to show respect, break down barriers and start conversations.
6. Manners are universal, use them.
7. Do not shout at others, they are not deaf, they just can’t understand you.
8. NEVER complain that the people of the country you are visiting do not speak English. Remember where you are.
9. Bargain, it is an expected part of a transaction.
10. Do not over bargain. 50 cents is nothing to you, but may mean a days worth of meals to the person you are haggling with.
11. Respect local customs. It is not about your way, you are the visitor.
12. Party yes. Have fun yes, but do not go so far to extremes that it means you trash the local area and people die.
13. Leave a good impression of your culture on the countries you are visiting.
14. Have off the beaten path adventures and enjoy traveling to the touristy stuff too – just add a different angle to it.
15. Don’t think you are so awesomely cool just because you’ve visited 58 countries on a budget of $25 a day and all you do is go off the beaten path like a real hard-core traveler does.
16. Travel in a style that is in alignment with your values and suits your likes and interests. Ignore everyone else’s opinion.
17. Start travelling when you are young
18. Don’t listen to the naysayers and dream-stealers telling you why you can’t live your dreams and how you should conform.
19. Eat street food. It won’t kill you. In fact, there are many reasons why you should eat street food.
20. Try different local dishes – ditch the Western diet.
21. It’s okay to feel uncomfortable, it is how you grow.
22. Be flexible, it is the best way to adapt.
23. Ask for help when you need it, even if it is in sign language and charades.
24. Carry palm cards with important phrases written on it in the local language. essential for vegetarians in China.
25. Don’t be afraid to respectfully say no.